Monday, September 10, 2007

Update from a new Astoria resident

Wooo! What a crazy weekend. I had to move my stuff out of my (now) old apartment to my current apartment. On Saturday I took my first load over, which consisted of a suitcase, a bag of dirty clothes, and my shoulder bag with lots of papers and books in it. Once I got there, we had to wait for the cable to come between 12 and 4 and we also had a handyman there fixing up all the holes in the wall from the previous tenants (nail holes, not big holes). The plan was to go to Gin Mill to watch the Gators game and we had to be there to get our reserved table by 5. Well, the cable guy didn't come until 3:30 and we needed to leave by 4:30, so we didn't make it. When we realized there was nowhere to watch the game, I just headed back to the other apartment to prepare everything for the final haul. It became obvious very quickly that I could not do it in one trip, try as I may. On Sunday I woke-up and didn't shower to save a little time then carried four large bags with me to the train. For those of you who don't know my living situation(s), I live about 7 minutes from the train at both places which really isn't bad except for when you are carrying a lot of stuff and that stuff is also really heavy. Even though I am only travelling from the south side of Queens to the North, there isn't anything that runs between the two so it can take anywhere from an hour to two hours to get from Ozone Park to Astoria (I go through Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan, then back to Queens) and I tranfer two times. Once I am on the train I can sit and rest for a little bit until I transfer, which is nice. Upon arriving in Astoria, I ordered my bed, went to do laundry (my sheets and some clothes), and waited around for my bed which was supposed to come between 4 and 7 and came at 6:45. I was hoping it would come closer to 4 because I still had to go back for the last of my stuff and I needed to go into the city to get pillows and a fan for my room, among other items. Once it came, I went into the city, got 4 pillows, a matress pad, a big fan, some kitchen stuff and had to carry it all back on the train. I think the theme for the weekend was see how much stuff Allison can carry on the train at one time. I got to Astoria, literally dropped it all off, and left around 9:45 for Ozone Park. I got to Ozone Park around 11 and was out of there by 11:30 with the heavier bag which was a joy to tote around at that time of night up and down stairs. I got to Astoria around 12:45 and never felt the need to take a shower more than I did right then. I didn't care if it was almost 2 AM by the time I had to get in, I needed that shower. And, I actually took a cold shower and it felt amazing! I got into bed by 2:30 and was up for work today by 7. The train ride is so much shorter! I will admit, though, that Ozone Park was growing on me. I was used to everything by the end of three weeks (including an hour commute into work) so it was a little sad to say bye.

Today, I have very sore arms and a sore back, but I feel accomplished, or at the very least like I went to the gym which I haven't been to in a month. At least all I do up here is walk. I feel like I am getting some form of exercise.

We're supposed to do a shoot today, but the weather is calling for rain. It was raining this morning, just a little cloudy. However, within a five minute period it got dark and looked like the sky would rip open with rain any minute, then it rained for a little bit and got sunny again. I thought I left Florida?! Hopefully the shoot will still be going on since I will get to help out with it! Better get back to work!

No comments: