Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Avenue Q

Megan Kinney is here for a month, and it's been so great; not only because it's been a while since I've seen her, but she's also gotten me into gear to actually do things. We went to MoMA on Saturday, did the Sex and the City tour Sunday, wander around and try new restaurants, and last night we went to a musical via "rush tickets." Basically, you enter your name into a lottery and they pull 6 names and those people get the front row seats for $20 plus a $1.50 facility fee (I'm not sure if the price varies for the show). It's great because it's affordable. She was the one who stood in line since I had to work, but she said the cheapest tickets that night were $66!

Avenue Q was my life in a musical. It's about a kid who just graduated from college and moved to New York and lives in a burough that isn't Manhattan because it's affordable. The whole time he is trying to find his purpose in life. It was hilarious. The show uses puppets and you would think that would be really weird, but after a while you hardly notice/the actors' faces match the puppets' so you want to watch them both.

After the show Megan and I got on the train and the guy across from us started talking to us and he goes "Weren't you two at the show tonight?" It was one of the leads from the show!! He lives a stop away from me on the train so we talked until I got off. I was telling him that I just graduated and I live in Queens and the show is so much like my life and he said "I graduated nine years ago and I still live in Queens." It's nice to know that even people on Broadway live out here. He only works three hours a day, six days a week which I found interesting. They don't do any rehearsals.

Vegas on Saturday! Ahhh! The moment of truth!

No comments: